Sheriff’s Office Continues Deputy Sheriff Recruitment Efforts
The Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office is continuing to recruit applicants for the upcoming Deputy Sheriff/Police Officer civil service exam. The exam will be administered by the Dutchess County Department of Human Resources on Saturday, September 18, 2021.
Sheriff Adrian Anderson said, “Consistent with our Police Reform and Modernization Plan, we formalized a Recruitment Team that has established positive relationships with community and faith-based leaders to increase our engagement with underrepresented groups. Our team continues to implement strategies to seek qualified and diverse applicants to register for the Deputy Sheriff/Police Officer exam before the application period ends on August 4, 2021.”
In addition to participating in community outreach events and engaging potential applicants on social media platforms, the Sheriff’s Office Recruitment Team has also developed a physical fitness exam preparation course and a civil service exam preparation course. These courses are being conducted to increase the success rate of applicants pursuing a career in law enforcement and are being provided at no cost to the applicant.
Undersheriff Kirk Imperati said, “Statistically, nearly half of the law enforcement applicants fail the physical fitness portion of the civil service exam process. With our physical fitness exam preparation courses, we are providing applicants with fitness and nutrition training several months before an applicant’s fitness exam thereby increasing their opportunity to pass.”
To date, the Recruitment Team has conducted seven physical fitness preparation courses and one written exam preparation course. Additional preparation courses are scheduled as follows:
Physical Fitness Exam Preparation Courses
- Wednesday, July 21, 2021: 6:00pm-7:30pm: Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office
- Wednesday, July 28, 2021: 6:00pm-7:30pm: Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office
- Wednesday, August 4, 2021: 6:00pm-7:30pm: Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office
- Sunday, August 8, 2021: 11:00am-1:00pm: Hammond Field Track, City of Beacon
- Wednesday, August 11, 2021: 6:00pm-7:30pm: Hammond Field Track, Beacon
- Wednesday, August 18, 2021: 6:00pm-7:30pm: Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office
- Wednesday, August 25, 2021: 6:00pm-7:30pm: Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office
Civil Service Exam Preparation Courses
- Friday, July 16, 2021: 6:00pm-9:00pm: Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office
- Saturday, July 24, 2021: 11:00am-2:00pm: Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office
- Saturday, August 7, 2021: 11:00am-2:00pm: Beekman Fire Department
- Friday, August 13, 2021: 5:00pm-8:00pm: City of Beacon Fire Department
- Saturday, August 21, 2021: 11:00am-2:00pm: Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office
Sheriff Anderson added, “By increasing our recruitment efforts, offering our free exam preparation courses and County Executive Marc Molinaro announcing that all fees to take the Deputy Sheriff/Police Officer civil service exam are being waived, we are optimistic that we can increase our applicant pool as we work towards diversifying the Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Division.”
For additional information on a career as a Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff and to register for the Deputy Sheriff/Police Officer civil service exam before the August 4, 2021 deadline, please visit: Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff Recruitment. You should also follow the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office on Facebook and Instagram for updated information.
If you are interested in attending a preparation course, you must pre-register by emailing your name, phone number, date and location to: DCSOTraining@dutchessny.gov. A member of the Recruitment Team will contact you to confirm your registration and provide you with additional information.