One week left to apply for State Trooper entrance examination
Director of Public Information
The exam will be held on October 7, October 14, October 21, and October 28, 2017, at several convenient locations around the state.
“I strongly encourage those who are interested and meet the qualifications to apply to become a member of the New York State Police,” said Superintendent Beach. “A career as a Trooper is both challenging and rewarding, providing a unique opportunity to positively impact communities across the state.”
Opportunities as a Trooper include training and membership in specialized units, as well as advancement through the State Police ranks. Some of the specialized areas of expertise include positions such as: Crime Scene Evidence Technicians; Field Training Officers; Canine Handlers; Firearms Instructors; and Motor Vehicle Collision Reconstructionist. Troopers are also eligible for assignments to specialized details and units including: the Aviation Unit; the Dive Team; the Special Operations Response Team; the Community Narcotics Enforcement Team; and the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit. Troopers may also pursue assignments as investigators in the Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
Applicants can use PayPal to pay for the application fee in addition to a Visa or MasterCard. The application has also been optimized for mobile devices. To help reduce paper and mailing costs, applicants with military service can now upload their supporting documents as PDF or scanned images directly into their application.
Applicants who provide an e-mail address will receive confirmation of their application submission. Notifications will also be sent when updates, such as changing a test location or date, are made to their application online.
Results from the examination will establish an eligibility list that may remain in effect for a minimum of four years.
The New York State Police is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and encourages all individuals interested in public service to apply.
Here are the qualifications:
QUALIFICATIONS FOR NEW YORK STATE TROOPER
- Must be a citizen of the United States and be at least 20 years old by the application deadline.
- Must not have reached their 30th birthday by the date of the application deadline. Except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active Federal military duty – up to a maximum of 6 years.
AT TIME OF APPOINTMENT:
- Must be at least 21 years old to be appointed.
- Must be appointed prior to 36th birthday, except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active Federal military duty – up to a maximum of 6 years.
- Must be a New York State resident and have a valid New York State driver’s license at time of appointment.
- Must be able to pass a Physical Ability Test (PAT): sit-ups, push-ups and a one-and-one-half mile run.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts any day of the week, including holidays.
- Vision Requirements: uncorrected – no worse than 20/100 in each eye able to be corrected to 20/20 in each eye. Correction may be achieved using glasses, contact lenses, or surgery. Color blindness is disqualifying.
- Must comply with New York State policy which requires all members to present a neat and professional appearance at all times. Tattoos, brands, body piercings, and other body art shall not be visible while a member is in uniform or other business attire. The uniform includes the short sleeve shirt open at the front of the neck. In addition to visibility, some tattoos or brands may have symbolic meanings that are inconsistent with the values of the New York State Police.
- Must possess a:
- Graduate certificate from senior high school, Or
- New York State High School Equivalency Diploma; Or
- Military GED certificate, Or
- High School Equivalency diploma from another state converted to a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma,
- Must have completed 60 college credit hours at an accredited college or university at time of appointment.
Exceptions: 30 college credits may be waived, if the candidate has either:
Received an Honorable Discharge from the Unite State military after two years of active military service;
Successfully completed a Certified Police Officer Training Course approved by, or equivalent to a course approved by, the New York State Municipal Police Training council. A certified Peace Officer Training course does not qualify.
- Must be of good moral character. A felony conviction or a dishonorable discharge, from any military service, is an automatic disqualifier.
- Must successfully complete a medical examination, vision test, hearing test, background investigation including polygraph examination, and psychological evaluation to be appointed.
CURRENT SALARY INFORMATION:
- $53,993 Starting Salary;
- $71,712 upon graduation from the NYSP Academy;
- $76,381 after 1 year;
- $90,827 after 5 years.
- (Salaries do not include additional location compensation for NYC, Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester counties.)
Apply online or get additional information on becoming a New York State Trooper at:
www.nytrooper.com or by calling 1-866-NYSP-EXAM.