Governor Cuomo Announces $100 Million Available to Fund Clean Air and Alternative Transportation Projects


Funds Will Support Efforts of Municipalities to Meet the Requirements of the Clean Air Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act

Applications Are Being Accepted Through August 16, 2018

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the availability of $100 million in transportation funding to support and enhance community growth and revitalize downtowns. Funding will support a range of projects, including the construction of pedestrian and bicycle facilities, recreational trails, and safe routes to schools, to community improvements such as historic preservation and projects that reduce congestion and gas emissions.

“New York continues to build stronger, safer, and cleaner communities by investing in projects that promote thriving downtowns,” Governor Cuomo said. “By securing this federal funding and making it available to our local communities, we can help ensure that New York will continue to attract businesses, generate new jobs and encourage economic activity while helping meet our goal of a cleaner, greener and safer Empire State for all.”

“As an almost daily bicyclist, I know how important it is to have access to alternative transportation options,” said Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul. “With this significant funding, we can invest in the future of our bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure in communities across the state. We are also focusing on improving accessibility for those with disabilities and reducing emissions to help combat climate change. This transportation funding will go a long way toward creating a brighter future for the state of New York.”

Projects will be selected through a competitive solicitation process that rates proposals based on criteria that includes public benefit, air quality improvement, and finance or delivery innovation. Selected projects will also help municipalities meet the requirements of the Clean Air Act and the Americans with a Disabilities Act.

Projects must be related to the surface transportation system and provide full access to the public. Applications for funding may be developed by any municipality or non-profit incorporated group. Projects must be sponsored either by a municipality, a state agency, or public authority eligible to administer federal transportation funds.

Eligible project activities include:

  • The addition of accessible sidewalks;
  • Construction of new bicycle and pedestrian facilities;
  • Preservation and conversion of abandoned railroad corridors for trail use;
  • Enhancement of traffic signals or intersections that improve traffic flow; and
  • Establishment of travel demand programs that shift traffic demand to non-peak hours or other transportation modes.

The funds, made available to the state through the Federal Highway Administration and administered by the New York State Department of Transportation, are provided through the Transportation Alternatives Program and the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program. The programs will provide up to 80 percent of project-related cost, with the remaining 20 percent provided by project sponsors.

The New York State Department of Transportation will be accepting applications for this funding opportunity through August 16, 2018. Applications, program guidance and workshop schedules are available here.

Department of Transportation Acting Commissioner Paul A. Karas said, “Governor Cuomo recognizes that regional economic competitiveness and growing communities revolve around providing strategic and innovative investments in transportation infrastructure. These funds provide invaluable resources for projects that promote healthy living, support recreation and tourism, and improve the air quality in our communities.”

Congressman Sean Patrick Maloney said, “Folks in the Hudson Valley can tell you just how important revitalization efforts are – we’ve got aging infrastructure that can be put to good use and we’ve got a growing demand for alternative transportation and recreation opportunities in a lot of New York’s small cities. I worked hard on the highway bill to secure the federal funds for these important projects – and I’m thankful for the Governor’s leadership on critical infrastructure projects like these.”

Author: Harlem Valley News