Spread the love
Autumn Events Benefiting Women’s Support Services
[Sharon, CT.] – (October 2018) – Local artists and entrepreneurs are using their talents to promote a cause they feel passionately about – ending domestic violence. Sallie Ketcham’s show, Derivations, opens Saturday, November 3 at North Elm Home in Millerton. Katie Shanley of Buddhi Tribe is holding a morning session of 108 sun salutations on Sunday, October 21 at 5 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Millerton.
‘Derivations’ is a collection of photographs and computer-enhanced images. Sallie Ketcham approaches photography with a painterly intent, looking for abstraction and mystery. Her computer-generated images capture the same subtle layering that one sees in her photography. There is an opening reception on Saturday November 3, from 4 – 7 pm. 10% percent of all proceeds benefit Women’s Support Services!
Buddhi Tribe is hosting a donation-based practice of 108 sun salutations on October 21 from 9 -11 am. At 9 am, participants will be led through the initial salutations, after which is it will be self-led. Participants may join for as many salutations as they like. Light refreshments will be available in the apothecary. 108 sun salutations is an ancient ritual traditionally practiced around the time of the solstice as a means of letting go of the passing season and welcoming the new season. All proceeds benefit Women’s Support Services!
Women’s Support Services is a non-profit agency serving victims of domestic violence in the northwest corner since 1981. Thanks to the generosity of our supporters, all of our services are free and confidential. During the past year WSS:
- Worked with 684 clients, 453 of whom were new clients – including 28 children – to provide support services and crisis response;
- Delivered 763 hotline/crisis interventions and 358 counseling sessions;
- Provided emergency shelter to 7 people;
- Provided court-based advocacy and support to 287 victims of family violence; and
- Led 236 sessions with children and teens at local schools, daycare programs, and camps on topics ranging from bullying and healthy relationships to teen dating violence and cyber safety.