Attlebury Schoolhouse, Stanford – Constructed in 1910 Recommended to State and National Registers of Historic Places



Governor Cuomo Announces 19 Properties Recommended to State and National Registers of Historic Places


Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that the New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended the addition of 19 properties, resources and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The nominations reflect the remarkable breadth of New York’s history, ranging from a New York City landmark in the gay rights movement to a rare surviving Civilian Conservation Corps camp, to a cornerstone of the University at Buffalo’s South Campus.

“These landmarks are a part of our rich and storied history and helped define what it means to be a New Yorker,” Governor Cuomo said. “By placing these landmarks on the State and National Registers of Historic Places, we are preserving their legacies and ensuring that they will be enjoyed for generations to come.”

“These latest nominations are representative of New York’s rich and diverse heritage,”said Rose Harvey, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. “Recognizing and supporting these landmarks will help highlight our past and preserve irreplaceable assets for the future.”

State and National Registers listing can assist property owners in revitalizing buildings, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits. Spurred by the state and federal historic rehabilitation commercial tax credits administered by the State Historic Preservation Office, developers invested $550 million statewide in 2015 to revitalize properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places, while homeowners using the New York State Historic Homeowner Rehabilitation Tax Credit invested more than $12 million statewide on home improvements to help revitalize historic neighborhoods.

The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are more than 120,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.

Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register. More information and photos of the nominations are available on the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservationwebsite.


New York County

Julius’ Bar, Manhattan – One of the city’s oldest bars in continuous operation, the Greenwich Village establishment was the site of an important 1966 event in the early modern gay rights movement in which activists organized what became known as a “sip-in” to successfully challenge New York State Liquor Authority regulations that prohibited bars from serving drinks to known or suspected gay men or lesbians.

Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church, now Salem United Methodist Church, New York – Built in 1887 and expanded in 1890 for one of the fastest growing congregations in the new upper class neighborhood in Harlem, its original white, Methodist Episcopal congregation sold the church to an African-American Methodist Episcopal congregation in 1924.

Kings County

Beth Olam Cemetery, Brooklyn and Queens – Established in 1851 by three of the oldest synagogues in New York City – Shearith Israel, B’nai Jeshurun, and Shaaray Tefila – this cemetery illustrates the development of burial customs in urban areas, the evolution of cemetery types, and the history of Judaism in New York City.


Suffolk County

Harrison Downs House and Farm, Riverhead – the 1923 Italianate farmhouse began as a gentleman’s retreat, but has since served as the base for a typical Long Island commercial farm for six generations of the same family.


Dutchess County

Attlebury Schoolhouse, Stanford – Constructed in 1910 after the hamlet of Attlebury’s 19th-century school burned in an accidental fire, the modest one-room, frame schoolhouse served not only as a center of education but also a hub for the rural community.

Orange County

Bodine’s Tavern, Montgomery – The small house and tavern was built ca. 1809 by James Bodine to cater to traffic along the newly chartered Minisink and Montgomery Turnpike.

Sullivan County

Callicoon Downtown Historic District, Callicoon – After a New York & Erie Railroad depot opened in 1848, the hamlet prospered as a local service center, river landing and railroad stop during the period when the population and economy of the Delaware Valley and adjoining Catskills were reaching their peak.

Ulster County

The Fitch Brothers Bluestone Company Office, Kingston – built in 1870, the Second Empire-style building constructed of bluestone served the bluestone quarrying, transportation, processing, and shipping business that employed over a thousand men at its height and was a cornerstone of the local economy.

Westchester County

The New York, Westchester & Boston Railway Highbrook Avenue Bridge, Pelham – Completed in 1911, the early example of a reinforced concrete-arch bridge is a fragment of the former NYW&B Railway, which was inaugurated in 1912 as a subsidiary of the New Haven Railroad, but which failed to survive the 1930s.


Cortland County

The Crescent Corset Company, Cortland – The 1923 daylight factory building began as the manufacturing site of the J.C. Penney Company’s private label “Lady Lyke” corsets, where immigrant workers, mostly women from Italy, made up much of the labor force.


Hamilton County

Civilian Conservation Corps Camp S-90, Speculator – The site includes the most intact collection of Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) camp buildings in the state, where enrollees in the Great Depression work relief program – who built and improved facilities at seven state campgrounds, reforested state land, eradicated host plants associated with blister rust, fought forest fires, and searched for missing persons – were based from 1934 to 1941.

Lewis County

Leyden Common School No. 2, Talcottville – From its construction as a common school in 1870, to its incorporation into a centralized school district in the mid-20th century, to its obsolescence and closure in 1963, this small building reflected the course of education in much of rural upstate New York.


Erie County

Edmund B. Hayes Hall, Buffalo – Converted from a former Erie County Almshouse building in 1925-26, the Georgian Revival-style building became the cornerstone of a new campus being developed for the University of Buffalo, which brought together separate individual colleges and programs, scattered through the city, to establish one main, modern college center.

Niagara County

South Junior High School, Niagara Falls – One of two junior high schools constructed in Niagara Falls in 1922-1923 to accommodate growing enrollment and serve a new trend in education, the building functioned as a junior high school until 1985.


Ontario County

Canandaigua Historic District, Canandaigua (boundary expansion) – The expansion will add 68 contributing properties that are similar in period and style to those within the listed district created in 1984 and expand the period of significance to 1967 to recognize the mid-late twentieth century history of the village.


Columbia County

Columbia Turnpike East Tollhouse, Hillsdale – The 1830s-era building served as the easternmost of a series of toll houses on the Columbia Turnpike, which was a critical transportation route from the Massachusetts border to its terminal point at Hudson between 1800 and 1906.

Rensselaer County

The former First Methodist Church of Lansingburgh, Troy – Now home to the Joy of Troy Seventh-Day Adventist Church, the meetinghouse-style church was built in 1849; extended at the rear to accommodate the installation of an organ in 1875; and in 1903 a thorough Colonial Revival updating was undertaken.

The William Connors Paint Manufacturing Company, Troy – The late 19th century industrial complex is significant for its association with a successful ready-mixed paint manufacturing enterprise, which made paint available in a wide range of colors sold in sealed cans.


Otsego County

Lemuel F. Vibber House, Richfield Springs – Likely constructed in the first decade of the 19th century, the home represents the early, but fleeting success of a hamlet known as Federal Corner, an early industrial hamlet that largely disappeared by the early 1840s.

Author: Harlem Valley News